Who hasn’t searched the internet for a business website, but then when they found the site, they left un-satisfied because they couldn’t find the information they needed?
And many business owners are frustrated to have a website but get very few website visitors and even less conversions (business from the website).
Basic SEO (Search Engine Optimization) helps your website to get a better ranking from search engines and to get more website visitors than websites which have not been optimized.
What helps optimize your website for search engines and visitors?
- Use good long-tailed keywords.
- Good, helpful, interesting content.
- Easy to use navigation, so your website visitors can easily find what they came to your website looking for.
- Website design to create interest in your website (and your product or service).
With millions of websites on the internet, each search engine (e.g., Google, Bing, Yahoo!, About, etc.) uses their own set of algorithms (calculations) to evaluate each website, and then arranges them according to best in their opinion, first, in their search results based on each user’s query.
“Content is King.” Has been the motto of many people who help optimize websites to rank better in search results. Original, interesting, focused, content will rank better than rambling content that makes no sense. Photographs related to the web page topic, with appropriate optimization, will help improve ranking, too. Related videos also help ranking, as can links from and to the various website pages.
And Search Engine Optimization guidelines continue to develop and change as search engines try to provide desired results for internet users.
Often, some professional insight can help you get started in the right direction to your website goals.
The prospective clients, the group of people that you want to reach through your website, are your target audience.
Who is your target audience ?
Depending on the topic of your website, your target audience could be
- world wide, or for a certain area of a specific city,
- for people of any age, or of a determined age group,
- for e-commerce, or for sharing information about a hobby or common interest, etc.
How will your target audience find your website ?
Consider the topic you selected for your website, then define what the people in your target audience would search the Internet for in order to find your website. Make a list of words and short phrases you think your target audience would use to search for your website.
Google Trends can help your website.
Here is where it would be helpful to have some idea what words and short phrases your target audience would use to search for your website, if you could just ask them. Google features Google Trends, which you can use to determine how many people search for a word or short phrase. Google Trends even allows you to compare words and short phrases (from the list that you made) to see which ones more people are searching for. If your website is primarily for local interest, you can refine your Google Trends response for a country and city.
Less searched words and phrases.
- What if some of the words and short phrases you know significantly help describe your website don’t appear to be as popular on Google Trends ?
- What if some of your words or short phrases haven’t been searched for enough for Google Trends to have any data to respond to your request ?
Your list should include some more popular words and short phrases, to increase the probability of your website being found by your target audience. But you can also include words and short phrases on your website that you know significantly help describe your website even if they don’t appear to be as popular on Google Trends. If a member of your target audience is as familiar with the topic of your website as you are, they may search for that same word or phrase, and that could help them find your website
For example, looking at words for a client’s website, Borders Woodworks, a local Jacksonville, Florida woodworking shop, talented in design, crafting, and installation of custom cabinets, furniture, and built-ins,
- custom cabinets
- custom furniture
and Google trends showed us that woodworking is more frequently searched for. We use the less frequently searched phrases in the content text on the website.
But search word trends are always changing, so you should periodically check how your search words are trending for your target audience in you analytic data, and adjust them accordingly.
“A and B” testing, that is to say trying similar but different approaches to the same goal can also help you find out what works best for attracting your target audience to the website, but that will be another Jax SEO Works article.
If you would like to get better results with your small business website, Contact Jax SEO Works. We enjoy helping others.
It’s just better business practice to support your community and support charity.
How can you benefit your business and do something good for your community? Get involved in your community and help to support a local charity.
For example, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month; there are many local charities that you could volunteer your time and your services to help.
Here in Jacksonville, on October 1st, 2012 alone, you can take part in:
1. The Pink Ribbon Symposium at the Thrasher-Horne Center for the Arts, in Orange Park.
It’s a free event that offers multiple breakout sessions for your questions with answers from medical experts. You can join others in volunteering to help to promote learning about breast cancer, survivorship, good health and wellness issues.
- Mary Fisher Design helped out by developing a great website.
2. Victory In Pink is a Celebration of Women Who have Fought Against Breast Cancer by St. Vincent’s Healthcare, at the St. Johns Town Center. The Celebration is a free event and will include the Pretty In Pink fashion show, with makeovers and massages, the Ladies Night Out Breast Cancer survivor fashion show and education.
- Olympic Gold Medalist Shannon Miller is helping out by being emcee for the event,
And, there will be a special Victory In Pink After Party (with hors d’oevres, gourmet cupcakes, a champagne toast, music, winter fashions, and dancing – - Proceeds from this ticketed event benefit Cancer Services at St. Vincent’s HealthCare through the St. Vincent’s HealthCare Foundation).
3. Bands Against Breast Cancer, a group currently conducting educational and informational activities throughout the First Coast area, is holding their 4th Annual Boobsapalooza, their major fundraiser, with ten bands playing on two stages at Lynch’s Irish Pub. Founder Henrietta “Hank” Watson has led a group of dedicated volunteers to help educate and empower women to save their own lives in the battle against breast cancer.
Think about a cause you believe in. Give some of yourself, your time, your services to help. You’ll feel good for what you do and you will get good back for what you do, just like the motto of Business Networking International, “Givers Gain”.
Do you have a story about how you have helped out with a charity in your community that you’d like to share? Please send it to us via our Contact form. We’d like to share your positive story to inspire others.
UPDATE – In 2011, CoWork Jax was a project in downtown Jacksonville, Florida, giving people a place to create and maintain a professional business while networking with other innovative freelancers, entrepreneurs and assorted creative professionals.
The people of CoWork Jax needed to share their concepts online, and Key Theory created, developed, and launched the CoWork Jax website, which brought more participants to the Downtown CoWorking Weeks, held in Jacksonville, Florida in the spring of 2011.
Key Theory and Jax SEO Works teamwork helped the CoWork Jax website to get initial better search engine ranking with Search Engine Optimization of the website and online press releases, in support of the CoWork Jax strategic marketing plan.
Over the years, more and more people are finding out what a wonderful collaborative community is easily accessible in downtown Jacksonville, at CoWork Jax.
We are proud to have helped launch online awareness of this positive business place, CoWork Jax.
If you have a local, small business and would like help improving the online visibility of your business, Contact us at JaxSEOWorks! We like to help.
Recently we helped Jimmy Stockton of Black Creek Services, Inc. with a website and some online listings for his small engine repair business.
Jimmy provides mobile small engine repair service in Middleburg, Fleming Island, Green Cove Springs, Orange Park, and the Greater Jacksonville area, as well as repairs in his Middleburg, Florida shop. Black Creek Services, Inc. offers quality and professional maintenance and repair service for lawn mowers, lawn tractors, portable generators, pressure washers, just about anything powered by a small engine.
We built and launched the Black Creek Services, Inc. website for Jimmy, and the online business listings have helped improve the visibility of his business on the internet, and he is already starting to get results.
If you need reliable maintenance or repair for your lawn mower, lawn tractor, pressure washer, or portable generator, just Call Black Creek Services – 904.449.3986.
And if you need help getting your small business on the internet, Contact Jax SEO Works; we like to help small businesses.
A good business owner is always looking for ways to improve their business.
1. Get new ideas is to keep learning; reading articles online and in magazines and books, follow other successful entrepreneurs on Twitter and Facebook, and their website blogs.
2. Set goals for your changes and improvements, and then make small, manageable, incremental improvements. You can get to your goal with this approach.
3. Measure and track your efforts and your results.
- How much did you spend for your advertising last month?
- How many new visitors did your business see as a result of that advertising? (And ask your visitors which advertisement brought them to you.)
- How many of those visitors made a purchase? (Did you make a profit from their purchases, or did you pay more for advertising than you made in sales that resulted from that advertising?)
If you have some more suggestions, proven ways you have used to improve your business, that you’d like to share, please
add your Comment below,
or send us your suggestions to share via our Contact form.
Professional Skin Care and Massage Therapy at Serenity Suite NYC in Greenwich Village.
This spring, with help from website developer and digital marketer Kenny Harper of Key Theory and Rock My Image, we launched Serenity Suite NYC about a skin care and massage therapy business; restorative, healthy services offered in the historic Washington Square Hotel in Greenwich Village, in New York City.
Located in New York City, the Suite provides clients with high-powered careers; entrepreneurs, talents of the fashion industry, actors and even opera singers who literally come in between shows, meetings, or before getting on a plane for the skin care or massage therapy treatments that they need.
The focus of the Serenity Suite NYC website is to let people who live in the Greenwich Village neighborhood, or who will be traveling nearby, know about the variety of personal services that the Suite provides:
- Facials – European Facial, Oxygen Facial, Double Oxygen Facial, Microcurrent Facial
- Diamond Microdermabaraision
- Microcurrent Treatments – Microcurrent Facial, Microcurrent Body
- Massages – Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Heated Stone Massage
- Waxing Services
- Sun Free Tanning